Carefree Blonde

Thursday, June 8, 2017

5 Tips: How to Stay Fit With Kids









See bottom of post for photography details


Reaching health and fitness goals can be tough. Add little ones who wake up throughout the night or are fussy and don't want to let you workout it can feel impossible at times. That being said reaching your goals is still possible and still important.  Below I have listed 5 tips I have picked up along my mommy journey to this point that help me stay on track with my fitness goals.

1. Stop using mom guilt as an excuse: This is number one for a reason y'all. This is probably the excuse I hear the most. I want to workout but can't because......."my kids hate the gym" "my kids won't let me" "I feel bad leaving my kids"....That sounds harsh but for the most part it's just an excuse. There are some situations where it really is difficult to leave your child's side because of one reason or another (like medical conditions) If that is the case I would find a way of working out before they wake up or after they fall asleep. If it's important to you, you'll find a way.

Once Ty got old enough to realize I was dropping him off at the childcare to workout he would cry and have a hard time for the first little bit. This broke my heart. I felt guilty that I was "leaving him" to workout which made me feel selfish. I thought he obviously doesn't want to be here but I'm forcing him so I can have my hour workout. It was tough at first! Now he practically pushes me away so he can go play. 

So two points on this mom guilt topic. Number one if you haven't read the book "The Wonder Weeks" I highly recommend it bascically it talks about how like physical growth spurts children also have mental growth spurts. When they go through these they are extra fussy and clingy. Which makes sense because if I woke up and the world I knew yesterday was completely different today, I'd be more clingy to my mom or what's familiar right? So I noticed during these times he had a hard time being dropped off but stick to it! Kids become comfortable with routine and consistency. Second point goes back to routine, if your kids aren't used to going to the gym and all of a sudden they're going with you, they might struggle for the first bit because they aren't used to it. (To stay at home moms) Being around other adults and kids is so important for their social skills. If you're little one won't settle down and is just hysterical in the child care (which Ty has been before) they will come get you. If they don't they have it under control and you just need to remind yourself your child is safe and that's what's important. You need this time to focus on your well being which is just as important for your family at home

2. Realize this is also for your family: This may sound weird but I really believe it. Working out obviously helps your physical well being but also your mental well being. Physical health= having the energy to give everything to your family.... Mental Health= having the patience to do so!

3. Have a Plan:  I find this is valuable in every aspect of "momming" but specifically at the gym. There's nothing worse than walking in feeling ready to work and then wandering around trying to decide what you want to do. NOTHING kills my motivation faster. Write out your  workout ahead of time. If you aren't sure what to do or where to start, I loved starting with these workouts by Jamie Eason or watching fitness youtubes to get ideas. If I wasn't sure how to do a workout or forgot how, at the gym I'd google it on my phone. Bring your workout with you to the gym to keep you on track and moving forward. 

When I first started getting into lifting weights I'm not going to lie I was extremely intimidated because it seemed like everyone lifting were already in great shape and knew what they were doing. Starting out I had no idea what I was doing and was scared of looking dumb. Looking back, that is crazy! Everyone starts somewhere. 

4. Find Your Why: What is the reason you want to be in shape? Use this as motivation when you are having a hard time getting going. I have lots of reasons working out is important to me some vain and surface while others are more meaningful. That being said, my big why is really two different reasons. #1 My family (obviously). I physically feel gross and weighed down when I don't work out and I just don't feel like myself which is a disservice for my family to not be giving them my best. #2 I love helping others. I feel that by me working hard to be in great shape it helps me to have a [somewhat] platform to help others make better health decisions. Through my fitness journey to this point I've had quite a few people reach out to let me know that a workout or fitness picture I posted inspired them to make a change that day and I can't tell you how great that makes me feel. To know that in some very small way I was able to help someone make a difference in their day.....that just fuels my fire to push harder and hopefully reach more people. When you find your "why", it pushes you to get up and go.

5. Make it Fun/ Involve Your Kids:  One thing I love about my sister in laws is they are both great at being active with their kids. They race them outside, set up and do obstacle courses with them, or will even do push up or plank challenges with some of their older ones. What a great way to not only spend quality time with your kids but start introducing exercise as a positive fun thing instead of something you groan at the thought of doing. Your attitude about health and fitness will rub off on your kids for better or worse. 


All photos in this post were taken by the talented Julie Wilson from Mosaic Photographics. For 15% off your next mini session, make sure you mention CAREFREEBLONDE. You can also follow them on Instagram @mosaicphotographics




No comments:

Post a Comment