Carefree Blonde

Monday, April 27, 2015

Best Pan Seared Salmon Recipe

I'm a big cookbook fan. I have lots of cookbooks and love flipping through the pages trying to find something different and yummy to make (Especially now that the morning sickness has finally peaced out!!!). Unfortunately for me, I'm a little overzealous at times and am attracted to these recipes that have 30+ ingredients (some of which you have to find in specialty shops it seems like) and those recipes always end up flopping which drives me nuts after all the time/money  I just invested! I'm starting to find that the best recipes I'm making come from talking to people and have very simple and minor ingredients.


Take this amazing pan seared salmon for example. Trying to fulfill my sushi craving one day, I decided I wanted Salmon (which is loaded with omegas and vitamin E for pregos like myself). The only way I knew how to make Salmon was on the grill with a sweet Teriyaki sauce from Eric's mom (I'll post that recipe later it's unreal). I was craving something more savory though so I went to my local grocer and asked  the sweetest old lady from South Africa (her accent was amazing) behind the seafood counter what her favorite way to cook salmon was and she gave me the following recipe and it is by far my favorite savory Salmon I've ever had. Even better it's suuuuuuuuper easy!



For the Salmon:

* Cast Iron Skillet
* Two Salmon fillets (Skin on) Note: some people like to eat the skin. I'm not one of them but the skin helps the fillet to cook just right.
* Salt and Pepper to taste (I also sprinkled a little citrus salt to add a little more flavor)
* 1 Medium Lemon

For the Parsley Garlic Butter:

* 1 Handful fresh Parsley minced
*1/2 stick butter
* 1 Tbs minced garlic


Heat your cast iron skillet on med-high heat and turn your oven on to 350. You'll want the pan hot before you put the salmon on. Meanwhile prep your Salmon by sprinkling a little salt and pepper on it to taste.




Once the skillet is hot, place your salmon directly on the skillet skin side down. (There is no need to grease the pan since the salmon already has natural oils in it). Reduce the heat to just above medium to prevent burning the Salmon skin. You'll want to leave the salmon on the skillet  for about 5-8 minutes or until the salmon easily removes from the skin at the bottom (the time will vary depending on how thick your fillet is).  


While the fish is cooking, prep your Parsley Garlic Butter by melting the 1/2 stick of butter and adding in  the minced garlic and Parsley.



Once the salmon easily separates from it's skin (the top should still look a little raw), remove the skillet from the burner, and place in the oven for 10-12 minutes until done. About 8 minutes in, spoon the butter mixture evenly over both fillets. Once done, the Salmon should be a very light pink color and flaky. If you have really thick pieces it might take a couple minutes more. Squeeze the lemon over both fillets just before serving and enjoy!!!



Bon appetit!!!



Let me know if y'all try it out and what your thoughts are!!


 photo 1_zps9f765ba9.jpg




No comments:

Post a Comment