Carefree Blonde

Thursday, April 18, 2013

How To: Not Be Part of The Statistic

 
Today's topic is something that's been on my mind for the past couple weeks, and although it's a pretty serious topic I  felt like I needed to share some info to hopefully help all my friends and family (a.k.a all of you!!) I need to be careful how much I watch the news lol! It is important that we stay informed on events happening in our world, but sometimes it's just way too much doom and gloom. Every day it seems there is someone getting jumped, raped, kidnapped, murdered, or broken in to. Not to mention the school shootings and bombings!! I don't know how News Reporters do it! I would seriously be so depressed!!
 
Anyways, last week I read this list that a friend had shared on Facebook on basically how to avoid being a victim to a rapist or whatever else. Some of the things I already knew, but there were some other tips/advice that I hadn't heard before that I was really glad I read...Hense why I want to pass it along.
 
1. Be aware of your surroundings. This may sound obvious, but the #1 place women get abducted is at grocery store parking lots #2 is office parking lots/garages, #3 Public Restrooms. Make sure you are constantly looking around for anyone suspicious and make eye contact with them.
2. When walking to your car look at the cars parked around you. If there is a man by himself in a car (and you feel uncomfortable) don't be embarassed to have someone from the store walk you out. Follow your gut, if you feel weird. you probably should listen to your instincts and do something different.
3. If you're alone and the driver side of your car is parked next to one of those big white vans with no windows and double doors, get in through the passenger side. This is probably one of the fastest ways to be abducted and it would be easy for no one to notice. (This happened to me the other day, I came out of Target and a big white van was right next to my car which was away from all of the other cars. I'm sure I looked like an idiot climbing through the passenger side, but it was only my car and this van that was further away from all the other cars. Better safe than sorry!!)
5. Put your safety above helping others. I know that sounds weird, but as women we are naturally more sympathetic and will help those in need. Criminals know that and will play the sympathy card. Ted Bundy was a perfect example of that. He'd be on crutches and get a girl to help him to his car where he would then abduct them......It's sad to think you have to be careful while doing a good deed, but once again....follow your gut!
4. Put up a fight. There were some rapists interviewed at a jail that said if a woman yells at them or shows signs that they aren't afraid to fight back, they were less likely to target them. If you are grabbed try to hit where it counts ;) or pinch in sensitive spot like the under arm between the elbow and the armpit, or the upper thigh.. Hit them and run.
 
Side Note: There was a time when I was in high school and I had lost my keys somewhere in the bottomless pit of my purse at a Walmart parking lot. I had my purse on the hood of my car trying to find my keys. I looked up to try and think if I had left them in the store by accident, and when I looked up I noticed a man walking slowly in the row of cars in front of my car staring at me, but when I made eye contact he headed for a car and pulled out his keys. I thought it was weird but didn't think anything of it. I went back to my search, and just happened to look up again. This time the same guy that had been staring at me was now walking behind my car staring at me. This time I was really creeped out and stared at him until he got out his keys again and headed for a different car. At this point I looked back down at my purse but kept him in the corner of my eye. As soon as he thought I wasn't looking anymore, he proceeded to walk back in front of my car like he was making circles. This time I looked up at him and yelled "What do you want!?" As soon as I yelled he stopped staring at me and kind of jumped back like he wasn't expecting me to say anything and headed for his car which ended up being farely close to the one he first pretended to go for. Now nothing may have happened if I hadn't yelled, and I felt a little silly for yelling.......but I'd rather feel silly than wish I would have done something different once it was too late. After that experience, I put my keys on a carabiner and clipped it to my purse strap with my keys dangleing inside. That way I always knew where they would be. This is a great thing to do if you purse doesn't have a specific spot for your keys.

The past couple summers, I did summer sales, and I've often been asked if I was scared because of how dangerous knocking doors can be for a girl. There were definately times where I would feel a little uneasy depending on the neighborhood I was in, but the thing that I feel kept me safe was definately #1 God, and #2 following my gut. If you feel like something is off.....IT PROBABLY IS!! Don't dismiss your instincts as being paranoid or silly. That is probably the best thing you can do that will keep you safe.

These are all things I've learned as I've gotten older, and I felt like this was something that I needed to share, and I would be devestated if something ever happened and I didn't do my part to help prevent that. This post isn't meant to terrify or deter you from going out and having fun. We were sent to earth to live and have joy. If we let fear determine our every move.......we really aren't living are we? Unfortunately awful things sometimes happen to amazing people, and sometimes that can't be controlled. There are however, things you can do to lessen the likelyhood of becoming a target.

If I left anything out or y'all have any stories or other tips, I'd love for you to share them in the comments for all the other readers!!


 photo 1_zps9f765ba9.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment