Carefree Blonde

Thursday, November 15, 2012

Coconut oil hair treatment


So last night I tried an at home coconut oil deep condition for your hair. I got the idea from The Barefoot Blonde blog…..and I love the results! I went to my local grocery store and asked where their coconut oil was. It comes in a solid form, so you will have to heat it up before you use it to melt it down.  I washed my hair thoroughly with hot water and shampoo. After, I took my coconut oil that I had melted down and put it in my hair from about mid-way of the hair shaft to the ends. As soon as I had coated the ends I twisted my hair up into a bun and soaked in the tub for about 15 min. I really wanted my hair to soak in all the nutrients from the oil. If you want even more penetration (weird word I always feel awkward saying that) wrap saran wrap on your head and blow dry. The heat will open up the hair cuticle allowing the coconut oil to get all up in there. When you are ready to rinse off, wash your hair again with hot water. (This is important so that you don’t have a waxy/greasy residue yuck!!) Really make sure to shampoo well with hot water, condition, and then rinse with cold water. The cold water snaps your hair cuticle shut locking in all the nutrients you just put in your hair. I used a hydrating shampoo and conditioner from Biolage. I’m going to try and do this deep condition once every 2weeks or so.


Other Uses for Coconut Oil:
·         Eye Makeup Remover (take a tiny bit and rub on your eyes, and then wipe away with damp cloth.)
·         Under Eye Moisturizer (coconut oil has anti-aging and anti-wrinkling properties)
·         Replacement for oils you cook with whether it’s baking or sautĂ©ing veggies!! (sooooo much healthier)
·         I put the remaining coconut oil that I didn’t use in my hair in my bath, and after my skin was extremely soft. It works great for shaving legs too!!
**There are TONS of other uses. You’ll have go look on that oh so wonderful world wide web for more ideas**

No comments:

Post a Comment